Dr. Luis Fernandez-Luque
Research Focus at QCRI
Dr. Luis Fernandez-Luque investigates advanced computing approaches to tackling major health problems.
Dr. Fernandez-Luque has published more than 80 scientific publications in leading health informatics conferences and journals, and he has participated in books and online courses with thousands of students. He is an IEEE Senior member and has been chairing a working group in the International Medical Informatics Association. He has extensive experience in social media for health and mobile health technologies.
He has acquired his expertise in health informatics during more than a decade's work in Germany, Norway, Spain, the USA and Qatar. At QCRI he currently focuses on quantified self technologies to support behavioural change.
- 2016-present: Qatar Computing Research Institute, Doha, Qatar
- 2012-2016: Scientific Advisor and Co-founder, Salumedia.com, Seville, Spain
- 2011-2015: Researcher/Senior Researcher, Northern Research Institute, Tromso, Norway
- 2011: Visiting Research Fellow, GroupLens, University of Minnesota, USA
- 2011: Visiting Research Fellow, CHIP, Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard Medical School, USA
- 2007-2011: Doctoral Research Fellow, Northern Research Institute, Tromso, Norway
- 2006-2007: eHealth Research Assistant, Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain
- 2006: R&D Trainee, Ayesa Engineering, Seville, Spain
Professional Associations and Awards
- 2017: IEEE Senior Membership, IEEE Society
- PhD in Computer Science, University of Tromso, Tromso, Norway, 2014
- Computer Engineering Degree (Five years), University of Seville, Spain, 2006
Sathyanarayana A, Joty S, Fernandez-Luque L, Ofli F, Srivastava J, Elmagarmid A, Arora T, Taheri S Sleep Quality Prediction From Wearable Data Using Deep Learning JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2016;4(4):e125
Syed-Abdul S, Fernandez-Luque L, Jian WS, Li YC, Crain S, Hsu MH, Wang YC, Khandregzen D, Chuluunbaatar E, Nguyen PA, Liou DM: Misleading health-related information promoted through video-based social media: anorexia on YouTube. J Med Internet Res. 2013 Feb 13;15(2):e30.
E Gabarron, L Fernandez-Luque, M Armayones, A YS Lau
Identifying measures used for assessing quality of YouTube videos with patient health information: A Review of Current Literature. Interact J Med Res 2013;2(1):e6
Fernandez-Luque L, Karlsen R, Melton GB. HealthTrust: A Social Network Approach for Retrieving Online Health Videos. J Med Internet Res. 2012 Jan 31;14(1):e22.