The hero big data needs? Data Civilizer helps scientists conquer the clutter
Big data is a big deal. With these huge data sets, analysts can gain unprecedented insight into the hidden patterns of fields like physics, healthcare, and finance. Collecting and analyzing this data has become a relatively easy part of the process. Aggregating and organizing it all has proven to be more difficult.
“An oft-cited statistic is that data scientists spend 80 percent of their time finding, preparing, integrating, and cleaning data sets,” Dong Deng, a postdoctorate associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), told Digital Trends. “The remaining 20 percent is spent doing the desired analytic tasks.” Deng suspects that 80 percent may even be a low-ball estimate, citing Mark Schreiber, a data officer from Merck, who claimed his data scientists spend 98 percent of their time on “grunt work.”
To minimize this grunt work and help conquer the clutter of big data, Deng created a system called Data Civilizer along with a team of researchers form CSAIL, the Technical University of Berlin, Nanyang Technological University, the University of Waterloo, and the Qatar Computing Research Institute.
To view full news, please click here.
In the Media
Congratulations to Ahmed Ali, Yifan Zhang and Fahim Dalvi for winning the prize of the “Best Audience Experience” category at the news hack hosted by SUMMA and BBC in London on 21-22 November with ...
This year CSAIL celebrates five years of collaboration with the Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI), an esteemed research institute that’s part of Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Doha. This ...
We offer an App Inventor Course in Arabic for students aged 13-15 and an Arduino Programming Course in English for students aged 14-18. Courses are free. Please register quickly as places are limited.
Children and teenagers have been given a rare chance to develop their computing skills with world-class computing scientists at the first summer computing camp conducted by the Qatar Computing ...
The Qatar Computing Research Institute’s new Creative Space, which conducts fun activities to teach children computing skills, has successfully held its first Open House event. About 100 children ...
QCRI Social Computing group's principal scientist achieves rare honor.
Chief scientist among only 43 scientists globally - and the only one from the Middle East - to be selected for the honor in 2017.